Labels

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Malaysia power rates to jump 15 percent in 2014? Why????

This morning yarl restaurant turned on its loud and deafening kitchen hood at 6.20 a.m. The kitchen hood noise is so loud and deafening that I have to turn on my computer immediately so that I can listen to some nature sounds since the kitchenhood noise is so sickening particularly at such an early hour in the morning when there is absolute silence in the neighbourhood. Perhaps yarl restaurant's boss really lacks common sense. Think of it! The time is 6.20 a.m. and the entire neighbourhood is so quiet that you can even hear a pin drop. Many people are still sleeping at this hour of the day. I dare not even turn on my blender at this time. Then suddenly there is this loud and deafening kitchen hood noise breaking the peace of the entire neighbourhood all for the sake of yarl restaurant's business. This is really ridiculous and clearly shows how selfish and irresponsible yarl restaurant's boss is! Sometimes I do wonder what is the purpose of the Malaysia Government setting up Institut Integriti Malaysia. Yarl restaurant's boss' selfish behavior is a clear example that our people's lack integrity and the worst thing is - our government is encouraging this kind of selfish behavior through inaction..

If I were given a choice whether I prefer to sleep or write this article now, I would choose to sleep. But since I can't sleep because of the kitchen hood noise, I have no choice but to write this article. Since I've already turned on my computer I might as well write something. Why am I writing about yarl restaurant's noise pollution program again? Firstly, as usual, I was suddenly wakened up by yarl restaurant's loud and deafening hood noise and am feeling very angry and frustrated because I have to face another day at work sleepy and tired. Secondly, the rise in electricity tariffs scares me. Why does the rise in electricity tariffs scares me? Because I have to turn on my computer 17 hours a day to listen to nature sounds so that I can cover up yarl restaurant's loud and deafening kitchen hood noise. Since the electricity tariffs in Malaysia will rise by 15% next year, this means that I will have to pay 15% extra for my electricity bills because I've got an extra thing to do now i.e. to turn on my computer 17 hours a day to listen to nature sounds as this is the only way to cover up yarl restaurant's loud and deafening kitchen hood noise.

In the past I used to be very optimistic but now I am beginning to fear for the future. What with the GST (Goods and Services tax) looming ahead, the rise in electricity tariffs and cukai taksiran, the price hike in so many things, and here I am, without a proper place to stay at this age because of the kitchen hood noise - I am beginning to lose hope for the future. With yarl restaurant's kitchen hood noise so loudly and deafeningly destroying the peace and serenity of the morning making me feel as though I am living in a noisy factory, I just couldn't help feeling pessimistic. I would like to emphasize here that I am not anti-government and I would not complain about the rise in electricity tariffs if I don't have to turn on my computer to listen to nature sound 17 hours a day to cover up yarl restaurant's kitchen hood noise. The question now is "Who is going to pay for my electricity bills? Is yarl restaurant's boss going to pay for the bills? Perhaps it's time we make yarl restaurant's boss pay for the trouble  he is causing us with his kitchen hood noise. First of all, he should pay for the soundproofing of the flats of all those who are affected by his kitchen hood noise. Next, he should compensate us for all our sufferings all these months caused by his kitchen hood noise (since January this year when yarl restaurant started operation).

By Stuart Grudgings
KUALA LUMPUR Dec 2 (Reuters) - Electricity tariffs in Malaysia will rise by around 15 percent next year, the government said on Monday, as higher-income consumers and companies in the Southeast Asian nation feel the impact of moves to cut the country's heavy fuel subsidy bill and reduce its budget deficit.
The electricity charge would rise by 14.89 percent on average in peninsula Malaysia as part of the government's "subsidy rationalisation" measures outlined in the country's annual budget announcement in October, energy minister Maximus Ongkili said.
Malaysia's electricity tariff was last revised in June 2011 when the government hiked the price of subsidised gas to the power sector to 13.70 ringgit per million metric British thermal units from 10.70 ringgit.
Prime Minister Najib Razak's budget outlined a cut in the government's total subsidy bill by 15.6 percent next year.
Under pressure to rein in spending and boost tax collection to tackle Malaysia's high budget deficit and fast-growing debt pile, Najib also announced a new consumption tax that will come into force in 2015.
Ongkili said that the power tariff hike would save the government about 4 billion ringgit ($1.25 billion) in subsidies next year, according to state news agency Bernama. In a statement, he said that about 71 percent of consumers in peninsula Malaysia would not be affected by the increase, due to exemptions for low-income Malaysians.
"Since 1997, the government has fixed the domestic price of gas at a much lower level than the market rate to ensure that all segments of society enjoy affordable electricity tariffs," the statement said.
Manufacturers in Malaysia's export-driven economy have expressed concern that the sharp hike in energy costs next year could hurt their competitiveness.
The tariff hike will push up inflation, which could add pressure on the central bank to tighten monetary policy for the first time since May 2011, said Barclays Capital economist Rahul Bajoria.
But any negative impact on growth should be limited, partly due to the broad exemptions for consumers, he said.
Malaysia's economy grew 5 percent year-on-year in the third quarter, driven by resilient domestic demand and a recovery in exports.
"Growth is already fairly strong in Malaysia and with global activity picking up, we should see it well supported," said the Singapore-based Bajoria.
Shares in Malaysian state power firm Tenaga Nasional Bhd were suspended from trade earlier on Monday pending an announcement, which is expected to be related to the national tariff hike.
The new rates are effective from Jan. 1. (Reporting by Stuart Grudgings; Editing by Kim Coghill)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment