Labels

Tuesday 31 December 2013

A YEAR IN HELL WITH YARL RESTAURANT

This morning yarl restaurant turned on its loud and deafening kitchen hood at 6.03 a.m. so here I am writing another article about its noise pollution program after being wakened up by this loud and deafening kitchen hood noise. After all, how can I sleep when my everything in my room is vibrating with noise? Yarl restaurant's noise pollution is particularly extremely loud at this hour of the day probably because no one (even if there were any) would come to check on the restaurant so early in the morning. Each morning, when yarl restaurant's boss turns on his loud and deafening kitchen hood, it is as though he is saying:

Hey, you fools, GET UP, GET UP, GET UP. I want to make big bucks today. I want to turn on my loud and deafening kitchen hood now because it cannot function properly without making loud and deafening noise so please leave your bedrooms immediately. I will only lower the volume of my kitchen hood whenever anyone comes to check on my restaurant. When no one is there to check on me, I will turn on my kitchen hood to its maximum capacity. I don't care how my kitchen hood noise is affecting you. I only want to do business and make lots of money. If you can't stand my kitchen hood noise, you can shift elsewhere. If you want to stay here, you must bear all the sufferings that my noise pollution program is causing you with fortitude. In this lawless cowboy town, I am the law and I can do what I want. Even the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) people can't do anything to me. If these DBKL fellows ever come to check on my restaurant, I'll just show them the speaker and tell them that the speaker is the kitchen hood and they will believe me. No one can do anything to me. I am in control here because I own a restaurant.
Last night I really panicked because I had to do some shopping after work. Why panicked? Because I knew that I would be late when I got home and this would mean that I would not get enough sleep the next day when yarl restaurant turned on its loud and deafening kitchen hood very early in the morning to wake me up. In the past, I used to enjoy shopping after work but now, it is something I fear to do because I would have to sacrifice my sleep for it. Well, it is indeed a shame to say that 56 years after our country attained independence, as a citizen of Malaysia, I don't even have the freedom to go shopping whenever I want because yarl restaurant's boss says that I don't have this kind of freedom. During the British Colonialism  no one had this problem and life was very peaceful then. But now, even with the global peace foundation, my life is being threatened by this loud and deafening kitchen hood noise all the time and even the Kuala Lumpur City Hall cannot do anything about it.. There is no more peace in the neighbourhood now, only noise day and night. Life has since become hell for us. Every night, before I sleep, I would get a topic ready in my mind about yarl restaurant's noise pollution program and start writing in this blog the next morning when yarl restaurant wakes me up with its loud and deafening kitchen hood noise. Since today is the last day of the year I would like to reflect on the sufferings that yarl restaurant has caused us throughout this year.

It all started one day in January this year. One night, after work, I heard the sound of a diesel truck making lots of noise outside my window. Thinking that it was only a diesel truck, I believed that the noise would go away after a few minutes but the noise went on for hours. Wondering why this diesel truck was making so much noise, I looked out of my window and was shocked to see yarl restaurant's loud and deafening kitchen hood functioning at its maximum noise capacity. Since that moment onwards our lives were changed forever. There is no more peace, only loud and deafening noise day and night. With the global peace convention held recently in Kuala Lumpur, I don't know how Malaysia defines "peace" but based on the inaction on the part of the Kuala Lumpur City Hall, Malaysia's "peace" could very well be taken to mean that noise pollution is good for us.

The first thing that  I did after yarl restaurant started making loud and deafening noise outside my window was to move the computer table which as located next to the window to another corner of my room. I put the computer table beside the window because I loved to look out of the window whilst doing my work. But with yarl restaurant's loud and deafening kitchen hood noise outside my window, it's not possible for me to do my work next to the window anymore. Whilst moving the computer table, I broke my 17' monitor screen and until today I couldn't find another one. This incident clearly represents the peace and freedom that we have lost and can never be returned to us again. But then it is useless to put the computer table at the corner of the room that is furthest from the window because yarl restaurant's kitchen hood noise is so loud and deafening that my entire body and soul is vibrating even as I am typing out this article now.

Everyone yearns for freedom. That's was why our country wanted independence from the British rule. But 56 years after independence, I am living like a slave in this country. No one would like to be told when to wake up, when to eat, when to take a bath, when to go to work, when to do shopping, when to watch TV, when to visit friends, when to attend dinners, when to chat with friends over the telephone, and when to sleep. But as a citizen of Malaysia, I don't have the freedom to do all these things. I have to sleep when yarl restaurant turns off its noisy kitchen hood and wake up when its noisy kitchenhood is turned on. Whenever there is a water cut and the water supply is restored after 10 p.m., I must go to bed hungry and without a bath because these would take time which would mean that I would have to sleep late only to be wakened up early by yarl restaurant's kitchen hood noise the next morning. I used to enjoy chatting with my old friends over the telephone in the past but now whenever friends call to chat after 10 p.m., I would tell them that I have to sleep early because yarl restaurant will make a lot of noise in the morning and I have to wake up early. Whenever friends or relatives ask me to go out at night, I would tell them that I have to sleep early because yarl restaurant will make a lot of noise in the morning and I have to wake up early in the morning. Whenever there are dinners to attend (including my company annual dinner), I can't go since I have to sleep early because yarl restaurant will make a lot of noise in the morning. No more watching TVs, doing shopping, and visiting friends at night or I'll have to pay a great price for these i.e. to endure another sleepy and tired day the next day. I can't even stay in my bedroom the whole day. If I want to stay in my bedroom, I must turn on some kind of music or nature sounds to cover up yarl restaurant's kitchen hood noise. My electricity bills have also gone up because of that. Who is going to pay for me?

I wasn't feeling well the past few days but couldn't rest well. In the mornings, I have to leave my bedroom when yarl restaurant turns on its noisy kitchenhood early in the morning. I can still remember, how my mom suffered when she had cancer. But she was luckier than me because yarl restaurant has not started operation yet at that time and she could rest well in her bedroom (the room which I am staying in now). I can only pray that I won't have cancer because if I do, I would have no place to rest and recuperate because my bedroom is filled with yarl restaurant's loud and deafening kitchen hood noise. But then what can I do? This is the fate of an ordinary citizen of Malaysia - voiceless and can't even have the most basic rights. Sometimes, I do wish that I could live in the stone age because there is more peace then than now.

Does anyone have the right to make lots of noise at 6.00 a.m. or sometimes even as early as 5.20 a.m. in the morning? Is this kind of nuisance encouraged elsewhere in this world? But Malaysia Boleh. Do I have the right to say anything about noise pollution when radiation can be good for us? Like the LYNAS victims, I used to enjoy a peaceful life before yarl restaurant started operation in January this year. But since, yarl restaurant started operation, my life has since been turned into hell. I have to bear many sleepy and tired days at work and I find it very difficult to focus on my work. Today, I have to deal with many people and I wonder how I can ever do that without enough sleep. Sometimes, whilst talking half way, I suddenly find my mind blank and couldn't think of anything to say. Oh my God! How long do I have to endure yarl restaurant's noise pollution program? Because of yarl restaurant's triumph in evil, I am beginning to question the existence of God. If he really does exist, why does he let innocent people like me to suffer like this? I really cannot take it anymore. I feel that I am dying slowly with yarl restaurant's kitchen hood noise. Is there anyone in this world who can help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment