Labels

Thursday 6 February 2014

LET US BOYCOTT YARL RESTAURANT'S AIR AND NOISE POLLUTION PROGRAM



Have you ever imagined how quiet and peaceful it is at 6.05 a.m. in the morning? At this hour in the morning, everywhere is so quiet that you can even hear the sound of a pin dropping. Anyone in their right senses would not want to talk loudly or even turn on the music loudly at this hour of the day because we know that it is just not right to make noise at such an early hour in the morning. As for yarl restaurant's selfish and irresponsible boss, it seems that he enjoys disturbing the neighbourhood with his loud and deafening kitchen hood noise at this hour of the day. Chasing everyone out of their bedrooms at such an early hour in the morning is nothing new to him. As yarl restaurant's air and noise pollution victims, we have been suffering continuously from his noise pollution program since January last year without the right to say or do anything about it. What is even worse is that he may even turn it on as early as 5.20 a.m. in the morning chasing everyone out of their bedrooms when they are still in their deep sleep! It has happened before and he is likely to do it again if we keep quiet for some time.

Can we turn on some kind of loud and deafening motor noise between 5.20 a.m.  - 7.00 a.m. in the morning when everywhere is still so dark and quiet? Well, yarl restaurant’s selfish boss is doing that every day. Whenever anyone complains, he would turn on his noisy kitchen hood a little bit later i.e. at 6.45 a.m. After a few days, he would revert back to his old habit - turning on his loud and deafening kitchen hood earlier and earlier with each passing day from 6.45 a.m. → 6.35 a.m. →6.30 a.m. →6.20 →6.10 a.m., and today at 6.o5 a.m. If no one complains, he can even turn it on at 5.20 a.m.!  It is indeed a shameful thing to say that yarl restaurant's boss is doing this with his eyes wide open ignoring all the sufferings that he is causing to others and even more shameful to say that this kind of thing is allowed to happen in a civilized country like Malaysia! It is as though we are still living in a cowboy town where there is no law and order i.e. anyone can come into this cowboy town Malaysia and do anything to you but you have no right to say or do anything about it!

Actions speak louder than words and each time yarl restaurant's selfish and irresponsible boss turns on his loud and deafening kitchen hood, it is as though we can hear him saying boldly:

Hey, you fools, GET UP, GET UP, GET UP. I want to make big bucks today. I want to turn on my loud and deafening kitchen hood now because it cannot function properly without making loud and deafening noise so please leave your bedrooms immediately. I will only lower the volume of my kitchen hood whenever anyone comes to check on my restaurant. When no one is there to check on me, I will turn on my kitchen hood to its maximum capacity. I don't care how my kitchen hood noise is affecting you. I only want to do business and make lots of money. If you can't stand my kitchen hood noise, you can shift elsewhere. If you want to stay here, you must bear all the sufferings that my noise pollution program is causing you with fortitude. In this lawless cowboy town, I am the law and I can do what I want. Even the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) people can't do anything to me. That is why I am so daring. If these DBKL fellows ever come to check on my restaurant, I'll just show them the speaker and tell them that the speaker is the kitchen hood and they will believe me. No one can do anything to me. I am in control here because I own a restaurant. My skin is very thick and I don't know how to feel ashamed of myself. I know very well that my kitchen hood is making a lot of noise but I don't care. I am also a liar. Sometime in August 2013, I lied to Fong Kui Lun's (MP of this area) assistant that I would reduce the noise in the neighbourhood without any intention to do so. Since he came to see me to ask me to reduce the noise after complaints from the neighbours, I might as well lie to him because I know that he cannot do anything to me. I am not going to spend a single sen to solve the noise problem. Let the neighbours suffer as long as I can make money. It is really amusing to make everyone in the neighbourhood suffer for the sake of my business. The entire neighbourhood is very quiet at this hour of the day, so quiet that you can even hear a pin drop, and the only noise you can hear is my kitchen hood noise. Each morning, when I turn on my noisy kitchen hood, everyone has to flee from their bedrooms. At night, long after bedtime hour, I can still make loud and deafening noise so that my victims cannot sleep. How funny! Sleep deprivation is a beautiful thing! See how my victims suffer? This clearly shows how grand I am! The Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) has given me the authority to do so through their inaction. These DBKL fellows dare not do anything to me. I can make others suffer under my noise pollution program and they cannot do anything to me. No one can do anything to me. Can we torture others for the sake of our business? Well, Malaysia Boleh and that is why I am doing it! MONEY FOR ME, NOISE FOR YOU-this is the motto of my life. Ha! Ha! Ha!



As yarl restaurant's victims, we have been going through a period of hell since yarl restaurant started operating in January last year and these sufferings would go on as long as yarl restaurant continues to plague us with its loud and deafening kitchen hood noise. There is actually no difference between yarl restaurant's noise pollution program and the Lynas Case or Gold for me, Cyanide for You Case because the health hazards caused by noise pollution  are no less serious than radiation and cyanide. Yarl restaurant's noise pollution program is really too stressful for us to bear and we have come to a point where we cannot take it anymore. Our health is also deteriorating because of it. Just exactly how do we suffer? Please click A Year in Hell with Yarl Restaurant to read what kind of hell we have been going through  with yarl restaurant's noise pollution program. The articles in this blog represent our voiceless pleas for help from the public since there isn't anything that the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) could do to solve the problem. Apart from increasing our property taxes, it seems that there isn't anything which that the DBKL could do. The reason why the DBKL suddenly increased our property taxes on the grounds that the value of our property has increased is really ridiculous. Think of it! Can the value of our flats increase when:
  • we have to endure loud and deafening noise all our waking hours and this noise may even intrude into our sleep?
  • we are being chased out of our bedrooms early every morning when we are still in a state of deep sleep?
  • we are suffering from stress and health deterioration because we are being plagued by noise all the time?
  • we can't stay in our bedrooms without turning on some kind of music or nature sounds to cover up yarl restaurant's loud and deafening kitchen hood noise?
  • our clothes are soaked in curry from yarl restaurant's kitchen each time we put them put to dry in the balcony?
PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT THE NOISE THAT YARL RESTAURANT IS GENERATING IS THE KIND OF LOUD AND DEAFENING MOTOR SOUND THAT CAN EVEN BE HEARD ON THE FOURTH FLOOR! WONDER WHY IT IS ALLOWED  IN MALAYSIA AND AT SUCH AN EARLY HOUR IN THE MORNING TOO? IS THIS WHAT WE MEAN BY "MALAYSIA BOLEH" - i.e. WE CAN DO ANYTHING IN MALAYSIA INCLUDING KILLING PEOPLE SLOWLY WITH NOISE?

In Malaysia, there are no laws to protects our basic rights. If someone were to put up a loud and deafening kitchen hood outside your window and turns it on for 17-18 hours a day, torturing you day and night with the noise i.e. chasing you out of your bedroom at 5.40 a.m. and forbidding you to sleep at 11.40 p.m., you cannot say or do anything about it. You can only bear the noise with fortitude. If you can't bear it, then go and buy a new house and move away. How many Malaysians are suffering from tinnitus because of this kind of noise? Similarly, if someone were to build a nuclear plant in front of your house, you will have to bear the radiation that comes from it with fortitude. Malaysians are not rich. Many of them can only afford to buy one house in their lifetime and even that they have to pay like hell. Should we allow selfish and irresponsible people who only think of their business to triumph in their evil deeds? Let us hope that the public would sympathize with our plight and sufferings and  help us to put an end to yarl restaurant's noise pollution program. We are really dying from yarl restaurant's noise pollution program. PLEASE HELP US. PLEASE,  PLEASE, PLEASE HELP US! WE REALLY CAN'T GO ON LIVING LIKE THIS ANYMORE. IT IS LIKE BEING TORTURED IN HELL. YES, WE ARE ACTUALLY LIVING IN HELL NOW WITH YARL RESTAURANT'S AIR AND NOISE POLLUTION PROGRAM. PLEASE HELP US! If there is nothing to cook, then yarl restaurant's noise pollution victims do not have to suffer anymore. Please do not let selfish and irresponsible people who sacrifice others for the sake of their business to triumph over their evil deeds. We may not be protected by the law but there is something which all of us can do. Let us all boycott this kind of people and their business so that they will not triumph over their evil deeds. Even though there isn't any laws to protect us, we can still do something to tell these selfish and irresponsible people that as human beings, we should be given our most basic rights i.e. the right to a safe and peaceful living.

Is it really necessary to eat in a restaurant? Do you know that it is more hygienic to cook your own food and much cheaper too minus the monosodium glutamate! Each time I eat in a restaurant, I am sure to find some extra ingredients in my food. Extra ingredients such as hair, ants, cockroaches, and flies, are common but of course there are those that you cannot see with your eyes! Have you seen restaurant workers stirring soup with the ladle that they has earlier used to taste the soup? I have seen this countless times. That's why I only eat in a restaurant when I have no choice. Only last Wednesday, I found some ants in the packet of rice which I bought from a restaurant in Brickfields! And don't be surprise if you find Shit in Your Food! When it comes to catering i.e. cooking food in bulk, you may even see frog's legs in your food. Yes, I have seen it with my own eyes. Wonder where they come from. Here I would like to share with my readers the article entitled "Dirty Eateries".

DIRTY EATERIES: Let people help report on filthy restaurants
By Paul Singh, Kuala Lumpur         

I WAS taken aback when Kuala Lumpur City Hall's Dr Hayati Abdullah blamed customers' tidak apa attitude for the condition of many dirty eateries in the city ("Must we stomach this?", New Sunday Times, June 16). 
Passing the buck to others is not a solution; a dirty eatery is just that -- it does not matter whether it is well patronised or not.
Is it too much to expect from enforcement officials to ensure the cleanliness of these eateries?
One factor that was missed out in the article was the possibility of health inspectors "closing one eye" to the condition of eateries.
Most eateries I have visited in the heart of KL , such as in Lebuh Ampang and Jalan Masjid India, are dirty, especially their toilets, yet, they continue to operate with impunity.
The cleanliness of toilets is a good indicator of the general condition of the eatery but I have never ever seen a worker cleaning the toilet during my visits.
Unfortunately, the majority of foreign workers working in restaurants have very low hygiene standards and hence, are a contributing factor in the overall cleanliness of the eatery.
The public is usually given the excuse that there is a lack of enforcement officers to do their rounds. Let me suggest a way out.
Empower the ordinary rakyat to pinpoint to the authorities the "culprits" on a voluntary basis and at no cost to the authorities.
In this Internet-connected world and armed with smartphones, dirty eateries can be reported with just one click.
What we need is the contact numbers of who to contact or email.
Make it as easy as possible for the public to submit pictures to the authorities. The whole exercise should be friendly and easy.
More importantly, there should be an immediate acknowledgement by the authorities and the public should be informed when action is taken within a reasonable period of time.

Read more: DIRTY EATERIES: Let people help report on filthy restaurants - Letters to the Editor - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/dirty-eateries-let-people-help-report-on-filthy-restaurants-1.302165#ixzz2sIoPlB84

Here is another interesting article about restaurant hygiene by Gwendolen Fairfax.
You never know what lies behind the closed doors of a restaurant

Restaurants are busy, bustling places, where a lot has to get done in a short amount of time and on the tightest budget possible. While the final product may look and taste amazing, one wonders, considering the time and financial restraints, just what happened to the food before it arrived on a diner’s table? Was the meat handled correctly? Did the cook wash his hands? Frankly, some practices of the food service industry might surprise the average customer. I talked to some seasoned industry professionals to discover what words of wisdom they had about the behind the scenes at their favorite spot.

 “The kitchen can be a gross place,” says Angie, a pastry chef in San Francisco. “I have seen servers and chefs come back from the bathroom or a cigarette break, not wash their hands, and go back to handling food.” Restaurants are busy places, and many times the workers just don’t take the time to be sanitary. Although state boards of health set strict rules for restaurants, some rules (like wearing gloves) are only followed on inspection day, because following them all the time would slow down production. The truth is that chefs handle food with their bare hands, bartenders touch garnish after wiping down the bar, and servers are touching menus and utensils used by other patrons without washing their hands in between tables. Also, if it’s flu season, customers can be sure that at least a few employees on duty will be sick. Since restaurant employees aren’t usually paid for sick time, they have no choice but to come to work when they’re ill, no matter how sniffly or sneezy they might be.

The One Who Dines Last, Does Not Dine Best
 


Most servers complain about the party who walks in at five minutes ’til closing time, but what makes late-night dining ill-advised to the consumer isn’t the inconvenience. Besides being a pain, it’s doubtful that the food will be very good. By the end of the night, the kitchen is in full clean-up mode, so entrees are more likely to be haphazardly thrown together than carefully prepared. The kitchen is using ingredients that were prepped hours ago and cooking them in ovens or fryers that contain the accumulated buildup of an entire night’s service. Sometimes chefs cook and clean at the same time, increasing the likelihood of a costumer’s steak being sprayed with drain cleaner or particulates from the bleach the kitchen’s using to mop the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment